Clocked: 3 lessons I learnt from my Dell system




I have a system.

An old, black dell system - Latitude series E6450

I damaged the battery. (Don't ask me how. Happened sometime last year.)

I still haven't replaced it yet. I'm taking my time, good laptop batteries are hard to find.

So last year, the system wasn't so useful to me.

But now that my fountain of inspired words started flowing again. I saw the need to use the system much more often.

And when I start using it sometimes, typing away the those transient words that may never show up again...

[Digress]

You know those fleeting breaths of inspiration that sometimes catch you unprepared as a writer? Those kind that will come to will you while you are in the bathroom, naked, with soap lather all over your body, threatening to enter your eyes if you dare open them to concentrate. You worry about running out there to capture inspiration in a receptacle e.g a pen, phone, recorder, anything, with the risk of falling down, injuring and shaming yourself if there are other people in the house. The life of writers. Very wonderful life it is.

[Back to story]

Like I was saying,  ...and when I start using it (the system) sometimes, typing away the those transient words that may never show up again...

*poof*

'NEPA takes light'

 (Oh, if you are not a Nigerian and you are reading this, sorry. The phrase meant that the 'Power went off.' Yes, our dear nation Nigeria has some things that don't quite work for now. One of such is erratic power supply. But I'm quite positive things would change for the better in the future. And 'the future is here' folks, get your PVCs please and pray!

Anyways, sometimes I am so deep, typing away and NEPA does their thing and the 'TV' goes off. (There is no difference between the laptop and a television set anymore.) I wail loudly. especially times I did not remember to save my progress. There is nothing more painful than WASTED TIME.

Or maybe it's my assumption,
Many of us waste our time and our lives and we don't feel 'pained' about it.

There are three things I learnt from my experience with my Dell 'TV' oh... Sorry laptop.

1. If I will tell myself the truth. The system wasn't so useful to me so I wasn't using it intentionally. I put on the system whenever I was bored and did anything that caught my fancy - movies, games etc. Okay maybe occasionally, I typed some documents but that was it. But now that it had a battery problem and could go off anytime, If I had to put on the system, it had better be for something serious.

Question.

How does this concern YOU?.

I want you to identify with the my old laptop.

Though our lives are more complicated than electronic gadgets, we could still go off anytime, like now, this afternoon on the road, stray bullets, or this night in your sleep. OK, I'm sounding like an unbeliever bah? I know but people die every day, including righteous people too. (Let me sha pray. May God grant us long lives in Jesus name)

I'm sure you all remember The Matrix (Awesome movie like that with plenty plenty 'film trick'.
), where the characters are plugged via head jacks into the matrix to go for missions. So this wicked guy, cypher turns on the team in betrayal and starts unplugging them and Apoch and Switch die immediately...

Photo Credit: YouTube.com

Ehn o. I hope you get the drift. Sorry o, we might have our destiny in our hands and could work out our future but not our life span. Once the plugged is pulled 'up there' or your 'Nepa takes light', it is over. Flat line heart monitor, the end. We return to our maker. So we shouldn't think we have all the time. We are clocked, wounded up by He who made us!

2. It is not totally a different point, it is the call to action from point number 1. Now that you know that we are clocked and we only live once, what are we doing to make our short lives worthwhile...

Let's take another journey 'In Time'. Seen the movie? Awesome.


Photo Credit: Superstarfloraluk.com
So imagine we live in a realm where time is money and your life. You look at your hands and watch your life diminish by the second. I'm sure you would do life more intentionally. It is no little wonder why people who are diagnosed with a terminal disease with 3 months to live, tend to live deliberately and touch many lives that they can before they exit this life.

Discover Purpose. If you haven't discovered it yet, Ask your creator, search within, get knowledge

Love, laugh, Live your dream, Take action, stay on course, touch lives bring honour and glory to your God, leave a legacy and Make History know you!

3. And lastly, learning from the mistake of not saving my progress whenever I am typing or editing stuff, we should learn to measure our progress, on the road to destiny. Celebrating our victories and correcting our downfalls. Do a soul scan frequently. Take long walks and meditate like I do. This will help you look back with the intended future in mind.

I hope these words are forceful enough. If they aren't, may these words from the scriptures convince you.

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, because there is neither work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, the place where you will eventually go. Ecclesiastes 9:10

P.S: Success in this life will not guarantee an eternity of bliss. That is only found in Christ. If you haven't received him, do so now. Tomorrow may be too late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similitude: Don't act dumb on your smartphone

Bitter Leaf Soup

Family Way: Part II