Easter Lessons Part I


Hi guys,

I apologize for the absence

I took the Easter break off, to be revitalized spiritually, mentally and of course physically.

I trust you all had fulfilling Easter holidays. And I hope you didn't just eat Easter eggs, unleavened bread or whatever your Easter meal is, but that admist the celebrations, you also learnt something. Learning is part of life and it never ends.

As Bishop David Oyedepo would say,  "If you are not building a library (of knowledge), you are building a mortuary without knowing."

So I was at this awesome conference 'KINGDOM DIPLOMATS GATHERING', which held at the Watergate Church in Ogun State, Nigeria with the theme, 'Partakers of the Heavenly Calling'
I would use this opportunity to share lessons I learnt during the 4-day Conference.

Hold on,

I feel I just have to say this...

I attended last year's conference (AN EXCEEDING GREAT ARMY) and I thought it was great. So this year, I thought of inviting some folks over to share in the knowledge of what God was doing and I told them, spoke about it, reminded them about it over and over again, (I kinda have a weakness for 'hyping' things that I love. I think I would make an excellent salesman. I think.) I'm sure the fellas were already like, 'Emeka, we are going already before you talk us to death'.

On the D-day, I and two of my friends get there so early, there were just like ten people or so inside the conference hall. So the event starts off kinda slow and I started to have all these jelly movement inside my belly...

[DIGRESS]

Have you ever been enthusiastic about something, let's say a movie, a song, a book, a pet, some food etc and You badly wanted your friend to watch it, listen to it or just experience it with you only to see your friend, midway through the experience with a bland/distorted look on his or her face and you decide that maybe your object of passion was not worth the attention and love you have for it.

Let me give a scenario, During my Service year, I had the opportunity of working for the Orientation Camp Broadcasting Service and on Sundays we get to play our favourite gospel songs. There was this particular song I kept telling my direct boss about and how everyone who hears it will love it, bla bla bla...

'OK, let's hear this song that Emeka keeps bragging about', she said as she finally obliged,

The moment, she put it, I realized I had been oblivious of some factors.

One. The song's genre was 'soft rock' which wasn't so popular in my country. Majority of us are 'beat-oriented' people. Any song, (secular or not) with 'beat was king'. So that alone was a disqualification mark

The second factor was that the particular Christian band does lengthy songs. The song is as long as 6/7 minutes. Sometimes they do songs as long as 15 minutes.

So she puts the song and I watch the smile die off her face, making her face rigid like plastic, her eyes distant and expressionless. All of a sudden, the song felt like an old bore. I see my boss tap away, counting away and I die slowly, enduring the stiff atmosphere and jelly movements in my belly.
When the song is finally done, she exhales and I watch as colour returns to her face. None of us say a word. She just gives me back my phone and we both forget the most awkward moment in Orientation Broadcasting Service history.

[Back to Story]

What made me talk about all that sef?
Jelly in my belly, stemming out of a fear of disappointing others


Yes, though the program, KDG2018, started so slow and I was beginning to feel like I would end up disappointing my friends. But beyond my feelings, I was so so sure they were going to be blessed. And I was not wrong. The same way I could have easily disavow affection towards that song I claimed I loved.

Some months after my service year, I started working at the college I mentioned last week. I remember playing the video of the song for about 350 students during our 'Variety Sunday.' I won't forget the joy that flooded my heart as I watched them all sing along, and even greater joy when I saw a girl in tears, saying the lyrics moved her, making her cry.

So the first lesson I learned during the Easter break was, 'Despite the contrary opinions of a few, (or many) never lose faith in things or people you genuinely love.

I'll stop here today. Watch out for the other lessons, unfailingly tomorrow.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Oh...

You want to know the name of the song?
Haha. It's 'Oceans' by 'Hillsong'. If you haven't listened to it, please do. It should bless you.

P.S: Have you ever loved anything that you feel has been looked down on by others? (Movie, song, book and what-have-you) Please feel free to share your experience in the comment box.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similitude: Don't act dumb on your smartphone

Bitter Leaf Soup

Family Way: Part II