Family Way IV



I first met her at a vigil - a teenager's vigil.

It was not the typical vigil where we prayed for Holy Ghost to fall on us for the power to fulfill destiny or for the Host of Heaven to deliver us from every battle of witchcraft or something. It was more like a 'teens nite out' where we discussed issues that were prevalent among the adolescents - self esteem, relationships and sexual purity. The church was packed full with teenagers and youths.

Many of them had invited someone. I knew my teens by heart and I could tell the ones that were first timers. The program was lively and they were very participative in the various sessions we had. I shook my head at some point, wondering if the teenagers would last this long awake if it was a typical prayer vigil. At 3 am, because of 'love talk,' their eyes were still bright like torches with charged batteries... Teenagers.


I couldn't judge them, I was no exemption myself, my spiritual life fluctuated badly when I was their age. It was in the University that God got a hold of me and made me more stable. Though there would always be the few ones who burned for God hotly during their adolescent years during my time and theirs. There would always be.


More than anything, I was glad that the turnout and response was this positive, it was our first teenagers vigil in almost two years. The last one had ended on a bad note - Two teenagers were caught necking at the back of the church by the security guard during the course of the programme. It caused no small uproar. Vigils for teenagers had been banned by the Pastor. It had taken a lot of begging and groveling to soften the pastor's heart. He stood on his decision until we compromised to hold the vigil with the youths leaders. The teenagers would be under watchful eye, he agreed.

The vigil had ended by 4am, we put the church building on lockdown until 5am when the roads will become busy. The one hour space was used in general cleaning and putting things in order.

"Good morning Sir" I heard from behind me. I turned to to see a smiling Tosin, one of my teenagers trying to introduce a shy girl that I don't know.

"I brought my friend, Tosin said,  "she wanted to see you but she's shy."

I greeted in response and shook both hands,
"OK, shy friend, what do you want to see me for?"
She giggled. She was clearly beautiful but I had learnt how not to dwell on feminine features especially teenagers.

She looked downwards, probably rehearsing what she wanted to say.

"Speak now..." Tosin urged her very shy, giggling friend.

After moments, she spoke up, ridding her face of all humour and replacing it with a very serious look.
"Sir, I really wanted to thank you and the other speakers for the programme. I really gained a lot especially during your session. In fact, I regret not bringing my notepad, because I didn't think I will need it but I was able to jot somethings on a borrowed piece of paper."

It was hard not to smile. I stretched out my hand to shake her once more. "You are welcome. Thank God for everything."

Facing Tosin, I said, "We would like to see your friend more often"

"I used to invite her o, but she always refuse to come, I was even surprised she agreed to come with me to this vigil"

"Is that right?" I said, making a face at Tosin's friend.

She bowed her head, giggling.

"It's my parents sir"

"I'm sure that will change from now on. Am I right?"

She smiled her response.

"Now tell me, since you'd soon be going home, can you tell me one thing you've learnt?"

"Err.. That God gave us feelings and it is completely normal to have feelings as a human being"

"OK..." I twisted my face in feigned surprise "...and you didn't think it was normal for people to have feelings?"

"Yes sir, my pastor used to tell us that if we have feelings for the opposite sex, it is a sin and we must ask God for forgiveness."

My jaw dropped, Tosin laughed.

"What kind of teaching is that? Come o, we need to see and flush your head of some things" I said laughing, with my face still leaving traces of shock.
She joined us in laughter this time.

The church doors opened. it was 5am. People shuffled to hustle out of the building.

I brought my eyes back to her.

"And what's your name 'Miss-feelings-is-a-sin"

Her smiling mouth uttered,

"Laide..."

Laide Omojola"

TO BE CONTINUED 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similitude: Don't act dumb on your smartphone

Bitter Leaf Soup

Family Way: Part II